Monday, September 26, 2022

Expert in a Dying Field

 


The Beths

Expert in a Dying Field

(Carpark)

How does a person become an expert?  I'm not sure what that entails or feels like.  I suppose I became an export of sorts at some of my various jobs over the years, after practicing them for many years.  That never felt like anything other than doing a bunch of stuff that I really didn’t want to do.  Perhaps that is my problem that I need to figure out and adjust.  What I do know is that despite living in a country and society that touts capitalism, I seem to embrace dying fields, or anything that can be lucrative financially.  The things I enjoy doing or being a part of one rarely gets the opportunity to earn a living.  I have a feeling that this is true for many of us.  The entire “job” scenario alludes me.  How did we get here?  Why can I not be productive with the stupid shit I like to do without spending most of my time trying to make enough money to survive?  This is part of why I try to be so supportive of the artists I appreciate.  I try to buy stuff and talk about it when I can, in a minor effort to keep these atists enhancing my life with their creativity. 

The more life I’ve lived, the less I understand how to navigate it.  All of the good ideas I have and things I’d like to do feel impossible.  I’d like to be involved with music related projects, but the music industry is only profitable to an incredible minority and I don’t ever fit in, nor do I know how to break in.  My friend Ox and I have tried releasing music, and online music retail, but almost no one buys it anymore.  I sometimes enjoy writing. in my amateurish way, but I am allergic to promoting it, or trying to monetize it, nor do I think I could earn a living at it.  When I was a dialysis patient I had some serious ideas that might help dialysis patients with their difficult diets, but I never knew how to make that happen.  I would like to help people dealing with trying to navigate the medical system, but I don’t have the job experience or education to be taken seriously.  I have the problem of shooting myself down before anyone else can.  I am good at self-sabotaging, and I tend to disengage from things I like and can be good at, when they become jobs.

It’s surprising to me that this will be the first time I’ve written about Auckland, New Zealand’s The BethsExpert in a Dying Field is their third album since 2018 and it is as fresh and exciting as their debut!  I first happened upon them by accident via their first single “Future Me Hates Me,” which the creepy YouTube algorithms thrust upon me after I played my chosen song and I had let it play.  Turns out this one was right on!  I immediately pre-ordered that first LP.  It’s been a fun ride ever since.

The Beths "Future Me Hates Me"

I hate say it, since I recently referenced it, but I think I may have given The Beths a bit of a short shrift in that Men at Work way (read here).  They are fun and display a sense of humor, yet they are much more than that.  The “Future Me Hates Me” video is a sweet kind of goofy clip and the song has an awe-shucks ‘everything goes wrong’ self-deprecation shrug vibe to it.  This is an unfair and shallow assessment.  Bandleader Elizabeth Stokes’ lyrics are incredibly clever, inventive, heartfelt and impactful.  She has an unbelievable knack for creating effortless sounding pop songs that are relatable in an every-person sort of way.    Plus, they flat out rock!  These pop tunes are crunchy, buzzy, energetic, light on their feet and performed flawlessly.  The background vocals are otherworldly, frequent and super fun.  They capture the relatability and excellence of some of 90s band That Dog, but with way more consistency. 

The thing is that these songs can be fun and fun to blast on a warm sunny day, but they have a lot of depth.  Not far underneath these clever and inventive songs is some deeply felt emotion and huge dollops of melancholy.  There is a sense of loss and longing that is infused in most of their songs giving them an added depth.

I realize that the excellent title and lead off song for this album, “Expert in a Dying Field,” is a thought-provoking missive about clarity about a dying relationship, but to me, it’s more universal.  It’s bigger than that.  The title alone has stuck with me since it was first released as a single.  Stokes has had me contemplating life, existence, work, usefulness, and the damning passage of time just with the song title alone!  It has me feeling like an old relic.  Not the potentially valuable kind, but the kind that sits unnoticed in a weekend garage sale, that will be thrown away if not sold for a nickel.  Far too often, I feel like most of my interests and desires are part of dying fields. 

Having said that though, this album does not make me feel old.  Anything but!  The Beths brand of energetic pop rock is the type of thing that has always rejuvenated me.  Their mix of high energy, burbling basslines, noisy guitars, frantic drumming, incredible sing along songs full of passion is never not utterly infectious. 

The second song on the LP, “Knees Deep,” is the kind of song that confuses me.  It is so catchy and relatable, at least to me (“The shame / I wish I was brave enough to dive in”), it should be a massive worldwide hit that none of us can escape.  These songs are all over this album and their entire catalog.  This can also be said of the ultra-sentimental “Your Side,” the anthemic “Best Left,” the rocking “I Told You that I was Afraid,” and the reflective and wistful love song “2am.”

I think about times in my life, when I have pushed difficult and uncompromising noise onto others, attempting to prove to others that I am also those things.  There is that side of me, but I still get giddy over really well-done pop music.  I would’ve loved the Beths when I was a 4th grader and I love them now as an old relic, or anytime in-between.

(https://thebethsnz.bandcamp.com/album/expert-in-a-dying-field)


The Beths "Expert in a Dying Field"









No comments:

Post a Comment