Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Vanishing Point

 



This past Spring, my niece Ashley caught a really nice day and she treated me to a wine tasting.  We were just north of Yamhill and she decided to drive, which was a good idea, because I was a bit tipsy.  As we turned onto highway 47 to head back toward town, I noticed a small sign that was knocked over and barely visible amongst the roadside weeds.  I only caught it out of the corner of my eye and read it as “Chris Man Can.”  I thought it was strange, and it gave me the same kind of strange chill I got when I passed the “Don’t Give Up” motivational sign in Yamhill County a couple of years earlier (read about it here), when I was driving back country roads and falling apart at the seams. 

This stuck with me.  Unlike the “Don’t Give Up” sign, this one was oddly specific.  I later went back to that stretch of road and it turns out that the sign really read: “Chris Mann Can” and had been replaced by a new sign saying the same words, but also included a picture of this Chris Mann and wanting us to vote him in for Congress.  Cue the Replacements fantastic song “Valentine:” “well you wish upon a star / that turns into a plane.”  In other words, it was a disappointment.  I was planning on taking a picture, before realizing that it was not some sort of message to me and all the other Chris Men, but a Republican campaign sign. 

 

The Replacements "Valentine"

I’m not sure how I would’ve processed the message that I originally thought the sign was giving, other than bewilderment.  What I do know is that this Chris Man Can’t.

Recently, I visited the Oregon coast.  While I grew up there, there were two FM stations nearby and they both played a strange combination of adult contemporary and classic rock.  There are several stations now.  This trip, I chose to listen to 100.7 The Otter.  It was basically the same format as the others.  Heavy rotation was Ready for the World’s “Oh Sheila” and Bad Company’s “Feel like Making Love.”  I don’t think I had heard “Oh Sheila” since the 80s, but had heard it twice within the first hour of my visit.  Sadly, I hear “Feel Like Making Love” far too often.  For some reason, as I drove along the ocean highway, I tried to figure out the meaning of these things.  What brought about this combination?  Sheer evil genius.  Clearly, I am not ready for the world.  This Chris Man Can’t. 

Ready for the World "Oh Sheila"


This trip was a bold move for me.  Ever since I started the anti-tumor medication Belzutifan early this year, I have somehow experienced every side effect listed on the paperwork.  I hit the jackpot!  It has been a struggle – one I didn’t expect.  During my life, for the most part, I have handled medication, drugs, alcohol, etc. pretty well.  I think it’s because I am a big guy with a massive need for control.  However, in this case, I have been devastated.  My hemoglobin drops really low, so I have no energy, I lose my breath with almost any movement, and my heart races and hurts if I am not laying down.  So, I have no life, aside from rerun broadcast TV stations like MeTV, and my music collection (I try to read, but my eyes haven’t been right since my last surgery).  The trip was made to avoid the heat and to try to cure serious cabin fever.  I’ve been told by a few neurosurgeons that they will not perform another brain surgery on me, because it would be too dangerous – too high of a chance for serious hemorrhage.  I currently have five small brain tumors.  The nature of these is that they continue to grow until they cut off parts of the brain around them.  The medication has slightly shrunk these tumors over the past seven months.  However, my quality of life is not quality.  Am I making the right decision continuing the medication?  What would you do?  I’m already seriously limited physically from past surgeries and strokes.  This Chris Man Can’t figure out what’s best.

Honestly, I could go on and on about what I can’t do or take.  Ever since the pandemic hit, it seems like everyone is on edge, and I am no different.  I’ve been struggling with evolving friendships as my health and mobility has declined.  I struggle with the divisive politics and how anything and everything is now political.  I’m not sure there ever was any, but I would love to see and hear nuanced and reasoned debate when disagreement arises.  It feels like we’ve all become too isolated, where anything that interrupts our flow in any manner becomes our enemy.  I can see it in myself.  About a year ago, I went to the grocery store to buy a few things.  As usual, I chose the check out lane with the shortest line, but still had to wait forever.  For some reason, the checker liked to touch and examine everyone’s items.  He did the same with my items.  I handed over a .30 cent coupon for something and it didn’t work.  I think I had chosen a different sized package for a product than the coupon required.  Instead of just saying so, he began digging through my bags.  I lost it.  I suddenly started cussing him out before storming out.  It was not my finest moment and I felt terrible.  It was so unlike me.

I write these types of things to help organize my thoughts and to help ease my stress.  I post them in a vain effort to connect with others.  I hope that someone out there might relate and that it might somehow help in some small way.  Somehow though, Chris Man Can’t anymore.  None of this is enough.   

 





2 comments:

  1. I love your writing. Also, I just read it while listening to the first song, and then again listening to oh Sheila. And after we said goodbye to you at Ace Hardware, we listened to the Otter til we came back. You’re a genius, Chris!! ❤️❤️🍷🍷

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Otter is genius! Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete