Monday, December 31, 2018

Top 15 of 2018


2018 has been an eye opening one for me with regards to music.  It started out simply enough, new releases creeped into my subconscious the first few months of the year, but then I learned about DKFM – a “shoegaze” online radio station.  This linked me to a ton of new music via their regular playlist and especially from their wonderful weekly shows such as: The Shoegaze Collective, This Radiant Hour, Muso Asia, Somewhere Cold Radio, and the highlight of my listening week: When the Sun Hits (and the brand new show Drowned in a Sea of Sound).  These shows, along with weekly listens to Louder Than Bombs, The Big Takeover Radio Show, The Kitchen Sink, and Emmas House Music, have broadened my musical scope ten-fold.  I don’t think I’ve devoured new music like this since I was in my early twenties.  It’s been an exciting whirlwind and incredibly overwhelming.  Just as I settle into a flood of new purchases, I am on to the next batch. 

As is tradition, I am going forward with an annual favorite releases of the year, with the caveat that for the sake of brevity there are many that could be on this list that are not.  The ones that have made the list are all in alphabetical order and not ranked.  Also, I will keep my jabbering out of it.  Each of these releases speak for themselves and I invite anyone and everyone to take the time to sample music from each of these remarkable artists.



Cheers to a great New Year!



the black watch Witches!



Collapse Delirium Poetry (ep)



Endless White Flow West To You



flirting This Would Be Funny If It Were Happening To Anyone But Me (ep)


The Goon Sax We’re Not Talking


Habitants Habitants


Jetstream Pony Self-Destruct Reality (ep)


Kill The Moose To The Moon and Back (ep)


Last Leaves Other Towns Than Ours (2017)


Lowtide Southern Mind


Oxy Fita


Sharesprings Paraparlor


Soft Science Maps


Tender Age Becoming Real Forever


Wild Meadows Wild Meadows








1 comment: